Sunday, April 27, 2008

Slip Sliding Away




Sunday, 27 April 2008


Chase made 10 months today! We didn't do much celebrating other than our usual playing around the house (especially since I missed yoga this morning because he was still nursing). Instead of working out, I decided to do some much-needed manual labor in the yard, which required putting on my shoes and long sleeves and pants and lots of mosquito repellent. It IS a jungle out there! It is much more difficult to do yard work in our yard since we're on the side of a mountain. Running shoes just don't quite do the job when there's slippery red dirt under your toes. I can only slide so much before I'm hanging onto the tall grass for support, in hopes that I don't go slip sliding all the way down the hill. I cut away and pulled a lot of the invasive vine that has been taking over our orange tree and bougainvilla (and in the process got all cut up from the thorns). I chopped up a lot of the grass that was half my height and filled two garbage bags full of yard waste. It looks a lot better (at least a little square section does because that's about all the energy I had for today, especially after I went slipping with a Bougainvilla thorn in my arm). I still have the rest of the hill to go, but I will have to tackle it next weekend. It's not like the landscaped yard my dad used to have well kept, and I'm no gardener, but it's a start.

This afternoon, we went to a last minute party at Kaka'ako Waterfront Park for Jenn's son (and Miya's nephew) Nicholas. They were doing relay races, we ate food, and enjoyed seeing the new baby Zachary and the growing babies all around. It was super windy, and not without excitement as police cars came whizzing through the park breaking up fights among picnickers in other areas of the park. We ended the afternoon with box sliding (for all ages - kids and adults and grandparents too!)..We laughed at the guys who tried to make a running start, but only ended up going about ten feet on their tummies....Gotta lose a few pounds?! Even gravity and a downward slope couldn't help them slip slide away down the hill at vast speeds.

It was fun to see everyone and see how all the little boys have grown!

1 comment:

Teresa said...

After reading this post I have decided that I shall never again complain about weeding my rockery. What DO you wear on your feet? Do you
tether yourself to a tree or rail so you don't go careening down the mountain? I'm proud of you for getting a start on what sounds like a massive gardening job!