Friday, August 01, 2008

Bon Dance




Friday, 1 August 2008

I picked up Chase after work and took him back to school in time for our Welcome Back Assembly. All the teachers got introduced by the students, and our new principal said a few words. Everyone was surprised to see Chase walking already. I drove around to the Kamehameha Schools preschool and to the YMCA to get some information about preschools for Chase.

Went home and Chase had a lot of fun playing with rocks and dirt along the driveway.

After an early bath, we dressed him up in a cute little outfit one of Chris' friend's sent him from Japan. We went to the Bon Dance in Palolo. Growing up, I always loved going to Bon Dances...loved eating the food of course, and loved the lanterns and the dancing. Since it's that time of year, almost every weekend you can find a Bon Dance happening at a Japanese temple in some neighborhood. I saw one of my students and his mom selling food at tonight's one. Also ran into a coworker who lives nearby. We ate dango (sweet shoyu mochi balls on a stick), yakisoba, and bbq sticks.

Chase was tired around his usual bedtime though (8 pm), and my back was killing me, so we headed home after only an hour and had to enjoy the rest of the music via echoes from the valley below.

No comments: