Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Okinawan Festival





Saturday, 30 August 2008

Last night I was so tired that I went to bed after nursing Chase at 8 pm. I didn't wake up (well actually I woke up twice in the middle of the night to nurse Chase) until 7 am. I feel much better, still sick, but I needed the sleep.

Chris went bike riding all day.

I took Chase for a walk up to Maunalani Park, now that my hip and back pain is gone. It felt good to finally exercise without pain! Chase fell asleep on the walk. I enjoyed looking at new houses and construction around the neighborhood, just dreaming of what I can do to our house. Chase didn't wake up for 2 hours, until we arrived at our next destination...Kapi'olani Park, for the annual Okinawan Festival. We ran into friends Joel and Sonyei. They gave us scrips to buy food. We enjoyed some shaved ice, Okinawan soba, and sushi. We planted ourselves under a shady tree and enjoyed the breezes and people watching. Chase took pictures with Uncle Joel and his taiko drum. After lunch with Miya and Junji and Taiga, we walked around to see the art and cultural exhibits. I made a headband for Chase while he slept in the stroller, with the musical entertainment in the background. Chris joined us at 4:30 pm, just in time for the bon dance. He took Chase on his shoulders for some dancing in the concentric circles. Onlookers commented on Chase's cute yukata, a gift from Chris' friend in Okinawa.

It was a fun-filled day of sun, food, culture, and dancing.

No comments: