Friday, August 26, 2005

Art After Dark

Friday, 26 August 2005

Finished setting up the testing schedule for next week, and arranged for Ms. Sahara (last year's ESL teacher) to come and sub for me a couple days I have to be gone for district trainings. The ESL director came and explained testing to me. It was very helpful. I stayed later than my "half-time" day today, as there was a 1 pm Welcome Assembly. All the new students and teachers got leis and were recognized on stage. Ms. Ikehara gave me my lei and mentioned the fact that I was her former student (as a 5th grader)...Very cute.

Went to Uncle Gary's to watch the UH women's volleyball game on cable with Dad and Uncle Jimmy (Jay had to carry my dad down ten steps to my uncle's house by bear hugging him, bearing all of his weight.). Afterwards, I got ready and picked up Linh for our night out on the town.

The last Friday of each month, the Honolulu Academy of Arts has an event for young professionals called "Art After Dark." It involves food, live music, beer, wine, and of course, art. You can choose to dance, drink, eat, socialize, browse through the art galleries, or just browse through the pretty people. Last month was "Jazz and Latin Night", but tonight was "Havana Nights", which meant mambo lessons on the dance floor and mexican food. I ran into some of Jay's friends (and recent ex-girlfriend), and had fun talking about traveling and looking at the Southeast Asian exhibits with Linh's friends. Each time I go, I see more new galleries, which makes me just want to travel and paint the sky some more.

We headed to Indigo's, a trendy popular bar downtown, afterwards where I people watched and engaged in fun conversations. It was a good night.

No comments: