Monday, August 15, 2005

MDA Telethon Filming

Monday, 15 August 2005

I know it's been awhile since I've posted, but with getting in my routines here, Bikram yoga, taking care of my dad, cleaning the house, figuring out the dating scene, getting all of my paperwork in to the school district here, and trying to figure out how ESL (English as a Second Language) works, with school starting next week, I've been pretty busy. I've had no time or interest in sitting at the computer to type.

Well, among many interesting things I've done over these past few weeks (which include going kayaking in Lanikai, taking a grueling series of Praxis tests for 6 hours last Saturday to get licensed here in Hawai'i, dancing until 4 am, visiting an ESL classroom so I can really see what I'm getting myself into - since the school district and school seems to be so disorganized and has not let me in on anything since I was hired, helping with the annual Mau Club picnic, and breaking hearts), today some television producers and documentary filmmakers came to the house to film our family. They are putting together a 2 1/2 minute segment on my dad for the local MDA Telethon (Labor Day weekend). They taped us helping my dad with his usual routines around the house, took him on a scooter walk around the neighborhood, and then went to Ala Moana Beach Park to capture interviews (which mine ended up being quite emotional) and walking with Dad through the park (of which we needed to do several takes because we just weren't "animated" enough.) At first my dad was hesitant to do this filming, but MDA really has given a lot of support to us, and we wanted to portray to people that my dad is an ordinary guy, and anyone can be stricken with this awful disease. It was a long afternoon (about four hours of filming), and after a draining yoga class this morning, I'm ready to hit the sack!

3 comments:

Teresa said...

Tanya, what is the praxis test(s)?
Teacher life is heating up here too!

Tanya Mau-Halsall said...

The Praxis is a national test that's required in some states (Hawai'i being one of them) to get licensed as a teacher. I hear that grad students in UW's teacher program have to take the test now. I had to take 6 tests (and may have to take a couple more for Special Ed if I want to be tenured in that area)...one is just like the GRE or SAT, with Reading, Math, and Writing components....another is a Principles of Learning and Teaching (K-6) which includes case study essays and multiple choice questions on child development, theorists, etc....another is Elementary Content, and another is Elementary Assessment. Each cost about $100 to take and although the essay portions were pretty thorough and easy if you're an experienced teacher, my hand was about ready to fall off after all the writing in a two hour period! I'm glad it's all over with. I passed the first set of tests...Just need to wait a few weeks for my other scores on the rest. Once you pass the tests, you are eligible to be licensed here in Hawai'i, which gives you tenure. You can still teach without your license, but if you have your license, you have seniority and no one can kick you out of your position year to year.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tanya ~ It's great that your dad was willing to do the filming to share your family's experience. He is such a practical, grounded person ~ "ordinary" only applies in that he is one of those guys who has always seemed to make the best of whatever is going on in a really "low key" and matter-of-fact way. It was a real gift to his friends that he, Bernie, you, your brother, and your step-sisters made the time and effort to do the *seminar* for friends from sport teams and work. Thank you for this and for sharing your Blog. Roz Young