Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Visiting an ESL classroom

Wednesday, 10 August 2005

Went to Waimalu Elementary School today in Aiea to visit an ESL classroom. My dad's cousin is the principal there, and she suggested that I come visit. Turned out to be an excellent idea, as the teacher there is also a half-timer, like I will be, so it was good to talk to her and see exactly what I'm getting myself into. I was exposed to assessments, and they showed me how to get started organizing things, what forms to send home, how to score the tests, etc. I tested a few kids myself and scored the tests. It gave me a real feel for how ESL will work in terms of the paperwork and stuff. This was soooo helpful, as I haven't gotten any orientation or information from the Department of Education since I was hired here. We talked about how backwards the district is, and they suggested that when I go into my classroom, I should check out the paperwork and all, and if I have any questions, to come back and ask. So helpful of them to get me started.

Met Ian for dinner at Chai's Island Bistro at Aloha Tower Marketplace. We talked about traveling, motorcycles, diving, and paddling, while he watched me eat like there was no tomorrow. Gotta love prawns and cheesecake for dessert!

No comments: