Saturday, August 27, 2005

A Baby Lu'au

Saturday, 27 August 2005

Went to 10 am yoga (since I was too lazy to get up and drink enough water for the 8 am yoga). Met Miya and Junji for lunch. They treated me to mexican food, delicious fish tacos, from this new place across the street from her in-laws. Hung out and talked to Junji's mom about their upcoming move to Japan for a few years. In the late afternoon, I headed to Sandy's (my step-aunt's) for her grandson Kai's first year baby lu'au. As is tradition for first year birthdays here in Hawai'i, a lu'au must have lots and lots of food. Mmmmmm....(I'll try not to make your mouth water Steph!) Gotta love all the Hawaiian food: chicken long rice, lomi lomi salmon, poke, squid lu'au, kalua pig, sesame chicken, tripe stew, taro, raw crab, haupia, and pineapple cake. After stuffing myself and listening to awesome live entertainment (my step-uncle produces Hawaiian music in his recording studio at home, and thus has many entertainer friends, which means steel drums, slack key guitar, and even a fiddle, with my step-cousins dancing hula and other kupuna showing off their dance moves throughout the evening.), I drove my Uncle Jimmy home. Hawaiians always find a reason to party....with lots of food and music....I absolutely love it!!

No comments: