Monday, August 22, 2005

Standards Based What?!

Tuesday, 23 August 2005

We had an all day teacher meeting today about standards....standards-based report cards and standards, standards, standards. It's a new thing here in Hawai'i, and this is the first time they're using a new standards-based report card instead of the E's, S's, and N's that I got when I was a student here! (When everyone mentioned to me that I'd be shocked at how backwards the Hawai'i school system is, they weren't kidding!)

And, no one understands how to use or even read all the codes on the report card, which is even more confusing and frustrating. I showed some teachers the Seattle standards-based report card, which in reality, is easier to understand and more thorough than Hawai'i's new one.

This, along with the gossip mill about administration that has already been churning, should create an interesting school year and introduction to the Department of Education here.

No comments: