Tuesday, July 25, 2006

First Day Back

Tuesday, 25 July 2006

Today was the first day of work. After waking up several times in the night to help my dad use the bathroom, I got to school at 8 am and my assistant, Nicole, and I opened boxes, moved furniture, dusted the dust off the shelves, put butcher paper and borders up, and tried to remember where everything goes. It was a productive day, and I went back to Dad's. Jay and I took him to get pho (our comfort food) at the Vietnamese restaurant nearby. We ran into our friends Alexis and Rocky who were also eating there. Alexis, who owns and runs the yoga studio I go to, has been bugging my brother about not trying Bikram yoga yet.

Jay stayed with Dad, and I went home to shower from the afternoon heat and drop off my resume at a tutoring place in the neighborhood. Ended up staying there to informally interview with the owner, name dropping teachers' names as her daughter went to the elementary school I teach at, and talking about my past experiences. I'll probably pick up a few hours each week to make some extra money. I was behind schedule as a result of this impromptu meeting, and so had to rush to pick up some Korean barbecue, then pick up Kai. (My dad's friends came over to bring him dinner tonight, so I had a few hours of respite.) We headed to Dole Cannery Theatres for a free preview screening of the new movie, "Miami Vice."

What a graphic bad movie that one was. With Colin Farrell's mullet and bad accent going on and Jamie Foxx's....well, let's just say, at least it was free. It turned out to be a blow-em-up action flick. Plus, we had to sit in the third row from the front, and half the time I couldn't tell if it was bad editing, or if the film was meant to have that grainy look. We munched on popcorn and kakimochi and had to save our plate lunches for later. Ended up sleeping on the couch at my dad's because I was too tired to drive home.

No comments: