Friday, July 21, 2006

Sightseeing the South...and Seeing More Friends From Seattle!

Friday, 21 July 2006

I woke up at 5:30 am and went out on the lanai of our condo. What a beautiful sight, with the ocean waves coming in and the sky a light pink and purple haze. I noticed a guy staring out towards the ocean with his camera and immediately grabbed mine and went out to the reef. For the next half hour, I enjoyed the serene, calm ocean as the sky slowly turned from pink and purple to a bright orange, the golden hues glistening off the reef underneath my bare toes. It was the perfect setting to wake up to!

After my photo session, I made breakfast and waited for Sharon to wake up. We headed out for our drive around the South end of Kaua'i around 8 am. We stopped at various beaches as she reminisced about time she spent at this and that beach with her ex-husband. We popped in and out of boutique shops in Koloa, walked across the swinging bridge in Hanapepe, and brought our plate lunches to enjoy on the beach at Poipu. After swimming in the cool water and marveling over the beautiful fish with the other snorkelers, I went to lie on the beach and stare at my teaching book (Yes, teacher guilt led me to bringing a teaching book with me on my "vacation getaway").

Suddenly, I heard this woman's voice say, "Tanya?!" I looked up, and it was my good friend Robin from Seattle!! I had just told Sharon in the car how funny it would be if I ran into Robin and Rustin, who were spending their honeymoon in Kaua'i. I was supposed to attend their wedding the weekend before in Seattle, so I was almost positive they were on the island. I had wanted to call her, but didn't want to disturb their honeymoon, and besides, I didn't have reception on most of the island. So, it was serendipitous that they came to the same spot of beach on the same day and put their towels down on the patch of sand no more than 15 feet away from us. Her husband Rustin was actually the one who noticed me and said, "If that's not Tanya, that's her twin sister." Robin had also noticed my teacher book as they passed by and thought to herself, "Wow, Idioms...BORING! Gee, someone is having a fun vacation."

It was such a pleasant surprise to see them. We caught up on the wedding details, their vacation on their first trip to Hawai'i so far, and we went to enjoy Thai dinner together back in Kapa'a. It was the highlight of the day, running into Rustin and Robin. Congrats again, and my love goes out to the both of you!

No comments: