Sunday, July 23, 2006

O'ahu Bound

Sunday, 23 July 2006

Since Sharon was going to church this morning, I decided to go to my "church", Bikram yoga that is. I discovered the only Bikram studio on the island, less than half a mile away from our condo. I went to the 9 am class, and had a great practice. It felt good to finally stretch those muscles out! Headed back to the hotel to shower, pack and eat a quick bite before we were off to the airport in Lihue.

After an hour delay and bump of my original flight (I had to fly standby as I got a cheap flight from my flight attendant friend...Now I wish I had gone to Hamura's to get their famous saimin!), I ended up back on O'ahu at 3 pm.

Then off into my car to drive to the Windward side to meet my friends at Windward Community College for a woodworking display. She had an underlying motive though, for me to meet her friend who is a beautiful woodworker and was managing the gallery.

We talked yoga (as he used to be a Bikram regular) and admired the pahu drums and paddles and coffe tables he and others made, and then said our goodbyes.

Headed to her house in Kahalu'u to pick up wedding invitations to address and then went off with her and her parents to Haiku Gardens to eat at Haleiwa Joe's. What a beautiful setting and restaurant! Many people get married at Haiku Gardens (in fact my parents were one of them!), and of course I was armed with my camera and wanted Jon and Nina to pose everywhere for me. Loved the ribs, couldn't get over the size of the prime rib, and loved the cute waiter too (Nina's mom went to find out his name for me before we left!). And Nina's dad was a riot. Talked about canning salmon in Alaska and we laughed about him moving his hat (inside joke...You had to be there). I'll have to take Dad to Haleiwa Joe's soon. It's my favorite place now!

No comments: