Sunday, November 25, 2007

All Plugged Up

Sunday, 25 November 2007

Yes, it may be too much information, but hey they're a part of my body, and a very important part of my body which helps nourish my baby, so they're precious cargo, and I have to take care of them. Little did I know that after years of growing up wishing these things would get bigger, now I find out that bigger isn't always better, and any size will do the trick. In fact, getting bigger these days isn't comfortable at all, but quite painful actually, and is a place I'd rather not be because it only means that I'm engorged, got plugged ducts, and need to find every manhandling tool to remedy the problem, otherwise I must live in pain.

So, for the past 24 hours I've been suffering with pain, not unbearable labor-like pain, but enough to make me massage myself while riding in the car, put hot packs to help loosen things up, alternating with cold packs to stop the swelling, and then just direct manhandling until there's no tomorrow. I've nursed, and I've pumped, and I've massaged simultaneously, but the lump and the pain are still there. I've even asked my husband to help, but it's too hard to describe where the pain is and how to remedy it, as the "Do you know how to milk a cow?" concept just doesn't do it. And, well, it's not romantic at all either.

After reading things online, and because I've heard horror stories about mastitis and antibiotics (and I just don't want to go there), I have now turned to remedies that I just never thought I'd be doing. Let's see if gravity works. I went from nursing Chase sitting up to nursing him lying down. Nope, still rock hard (and not in a good way, mind you). Okay, let's take a warm shower and massage. Yes, sounds all nice and relaxing, but nope, still rock hard (and let me remind you, that this is still not in a good way). Now, I've warmed up a bowl of hot water, and I'm standing in my kitchen at 1 o'clock in the morning, with my body thrown over the bowl, giving myself a warm soak. The massaging with the warm soak helps this time, as I can see sprays of milk coming out like little smokestacks. Never have I been so happy to see clear water turn cloudy! But, it still hurts, and the lump has only subsided a little bit. I could stand here for hours over the bowl of water, but my back is getting sore, and while one might find my position quite amusing, I just want to hurry the process up and go to bed.

Only now I can't...because it looks like I've just busted a hole in the cold pack (from squeezing it so hard between my arm and my body) and now there are not only wet icicles, but there is gel ooze all over my shirt and my body. Well, better get cleaned up, because I have to be up in another two hours to try my remedies all over again.

I just gotta laugh...You know, even though I know that this is the best thing for my baby, I dream about how nice it would be to be sound asleep like my husband and baby are in the wee hours of the morning.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

There was an article in a recent issue of The Week magazine which told of a study linking higher IQ to children who have been breast fed. So, add that to your arsenal of why you are putting up with this misery.
As one who had mastitus many years ago, I can relate to boobie pain. Go to your Dr. if this 'lump' issue persists.