Thursday, November 01, 2007

Screaming in the Rain

Thursday, 1 November 2007

Can't believe it's November already! One of my friends sent her coworker over to check out our deck. Immediately after walking down about the first third of our 85 stairs, he said "I tell you right now, no way for me. Just bringing the lumber down would be a hassle!" But, he was kind enought to check out the deck anyway, gave me advice on what needs to be fixed and told me we should definitely get it done for Chase's safety. He gave me the name of a friend of his who likes "challenging" and "interesting" projects.

Then, Chase and I headed to Ala Moana Shopping Center for some window shopping and a late snack at Makai Market, then we met Chris at Sam's Club so that I could get some refreshments for tomorrow's meeting. We got back on the road at the worst time, commute time, with the rain pounding down like Seattle rain, making it too reminiscent of driving down I-5 in bumper to bumper traffic with no end in sight. I remembered why I like working half-time (I don't have to deal with traffic around town!). We were almost on the freeway, when Chris frantically called me, saying he left his garage door opener for his work garage in my car, and asked if I could turn around. "TURN AROUND?!" Do you know how long it's taken me to get this far?! And, do you realize Chase is already screaming!?

Well, I guess I had to turn around. So, I head back to where I came from, with Chase visibly and audibly upset. Either he's hungry or his teeth hurt. I gotta pull over! I get as close as I can to where Chris is, and I'm trying to call him back to tell him that I'm going to park and feed Chase so he'll need to come to me. But, he's not answering his phone. WHY is he NOT answering his phone?! Forget it! I park in an illegal spot on the side of the street, hop out of the front seat into the back and get Chase out to nurse him. I've already tried calling Chris about ten times, but I keep getting his voice mail. Oh well! He better find me!

Within minutes, he walks up to the car. He must have seen the car. I ask him why he hasn't been answering his phone, but he said he didn't hear it. Chase is just inconsolable for the next 15 minutes, and he doesn't want to eat. We figure he probably was trying to get his hands into his mouth to self-soothe, but couldn't with his arms strapped in the car seat, so that's probably why he was so upset. He's all red and sweaty from crying so much.

After he calms down, I put him back in his seat, Chris leaves, and we take off, heading back into the rain and sea of traffic again. I'm thinking in my head, it's not quite like the song "Singin' in the Rain", but more like, "Screaming in the rain....Just screaming in the rain..." And all of a sudden, Chase starts screaming again, all the way home. I don't know what it was this time, but by the time we all got down the stairs, we were exhausted.

We got home by 7 pm. "What's for dinner?" I asked. Both of us were tired and hungry and wet.

And with no energy to cook. Thank goodness for microwaves and pot pies.

No comments: