Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Lion King

Tuesday, 13 November 2007

Last week, Chris called me from work and asked if I was free next Tuesday to go out to dinner with his friend Vince. I told him that I had an ALS Support Group meeting, and since I didn't make it last month, and couldn't go next month, I wanted to go to the November one. He asked, "Can you miss it this once?". I asked, "Well, why does Vince have to go to dinner on a Tuesday? Can't he go another day?" Then, Chris said, "Oh, okay, that's the only day they have Lion King tickets available, and I was going to get them for your birthday. Do you want to go?"

I just laughed. "You gave up that easily! I would've kept going with the lie!"

So, even though he's not good at surprises, my husband is still sweet and is treating me to the Broadway show Lion King, which has been playing here for a couple of months now and is ending soon.

He also made reservations at my favorite funky restaurant here in town, Shokudo.

So, we dropped off Chase at the Halsalls, along with a few of his favorite toys, the tuby toy and rocker and the sippy cups to try for feeding time. (I was a little bit relieved, as Chase was grouchy this afternoon and screamed inconsolably when I was doing some house business at an appraiser's today. Times like those make you appreciate babysitters and inlaws. This was our first date night in a long while!)

Dinner was great, and we timed it perfectly. We were done with dinner by 7 pm and I pumped on the way to the Blaisdell and in the parking garage. Got to our seats just in time for showtime at 8 pm. The show was amazing...beautiful costumes and choreography and music. Not a fan of musicals, Chris thought it was at least visually pleasing. I bought a cd of the original Broadway recording as a keepsake. What a nice early birthday present!

We called to check on Chase a couple of times, and to our despair, Chase was inconsolable most of the night. He refused to take the bottle or sippy cup and was just plain hungry, but fell asleep a couple of times (after "Popsicle" walked him up and down the stairs - but they only have about six stairs, so he had to go back and forth on those to bounce and calm Chase down) out of exhaustion from crying so much.

Got back to the Halsalls close to 11:30 pm and nursed him right away. Boy was he hungry! (Stubborn little thing!)

No comments: