Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Welcome, Baby Jas!




Tuesday, 8 January 2008

Congratulations to my cousin Steph in Seattle who just added a girl to the family this afternoon! She reports that she woke and was getting ready for work this morning and felt contractions, called her doctor, and Michael came back to pick her up (after Jake was only in daycare for 1 hour!), and they headed to the hospital. She was admitted into a room at 1 pm, and within an hour and a half, out came baby Jaslynn, who weighed in at 6 1/2 pounds and measured 18 1/2 inches long. She has a lot of hair and pink skin and apparently looks like her older brother Jake. And, she took to breastfeeding right away.

YEAH, FINALLY, A GIRL!

We're all so excited! (And it's so funny because Chase and I were hanging out at Auntie Stevi's this morning and we were just talking about Steph, wondering when she was going to have the baby!)

Here's what Steph had to say about the experience:

"Jaslynn Terri Kealohilani Daily decided to join our family this past Tuesday, January 8th! She weighed in at 6 lbs. 5.4 oz and was 18.5 inches long. She was born at 2:09 pm. The executive summary of our birth experience is as follows (they weren't kidding when they say that the second comes much faster than the first):

I woke up Tuesday morning feeling some mild but frequent contractions. Wasn't sure if it was labor but thought maybe it could be the beginning. Got ready to go to work. At about 7:30am I decided I would stay home as the contractions were getting a little more intense. Mike and Jake went to work and daycare, respectively. Called my doc at about 8:30am to tell her I was having contractions every 5 minutes or so. She wanted me to come in and get checked and monitored. Called Mike and he went to pick Jake up and they headed home to come get me. Went to the doctor and stayed there about an hour and a half or so so they could do what they needed to do. Doc told me I would be having the baby today (Tuesday). Contractions at this point were getting pretty intense, to the point where I had to hunch over when they came. Went to Triage at about Noon. Got checked and monitored there as well. Went to my room at 12:50pm......got my epidural at about 1:30pm....baby came at 2:09 pm. So we were basically in the birthing suite for an hour and 20 minutes and it was all over. Jaslynn came in 1 1/2 contractions, which was 4 or 5 pushes. It was over so quickly. Everything went smoothly. I just couldn't believe how quickly everything went down. I had heard the second baby comes quicker but I wasn't expecting to deliver a little over an hour after I got checked in. With Jake i had contractions for about 27 hours before he was delivered so it was a different experience.

We are all doing well. Jaslynn's first night at home (last night) was tough because she didn't want to be put down. She wanted to eat all night and be with her mama. Funny, how at this very moment she's fast asleep in the bassinet. If only she'd do that AT NIGHT and not during the day.

That's the quick update. Hope everyone is doing well. Happy New Year! I'll now be sending "Jas Updates" in the future in addition to my usual "Jake Updates". "

Steph, Mike, Jake and Jaslynn


** Congratulations, Steph and Michael. Can't wait to see baby Jas! **

No comments: