Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Giggly Baby

Tuesday, 18 March 2008

I've realized that it's hard to get things done with a baby. When he was one or two months old, he slept a lot, but I was so tired, that I slept a lot too. And, I cleaned, and I did laundry. Now, I don't clean or do as much laundry anymore (just because I've tried to delegate those responsibilities out, not because they aren't necessary), but baby doesn't sleep as much anymore during the day either. And, I'm not such a good playmate when I've got my list of things to do and am trying to sit at the computer (especially when he's repeatedly throwing toys under the exersaucer and sticking his head and body inside to get it, then gets frustrated because he's stuck and can't get out so easily.). So, not much done on report cards today. And don't even ask me if I've started our taxes yet.

I did manage to get lost this morning on my way to find this NINO meeting (Nine In Nine Out) for babywearing mommies. I found it, and thank goodness I wasn't too late; thanks to everyone being on spring break these days, the roads aren't full with traffic. I saw another friend Steph there, and lots of moms with Beco carriers. I wanted to try the sling, but felt that was probably going backwards. With my wiggly, active Chase, using the Beco is probably just fine. One gal showed me how to do a back carry with him. I swung him right around, and it was actually pretty easy! I think he liked it too. She also showed me how she nurses her little guy in it. I tried, and I'll have to keep practicing that one. Chase got a little frustrated when he missed the mark, and I eventually just had to take him out of the carrier so that he could focus on eating more carefully. At least I left the meeting with something.

Spent the rest of the afternoon trying to be productive, but Chase would not play by himself for more than 15 minutes at a time, so that was hard. I've been trying to get him to walk, by holding his hands, but he's not so sure what to do with his legs. He locks his knees and just stands there. He tries to move forward, but his torso just moves forward and his feet (well usually he's standing on his toes) are still planted in the ground. He holds onto the side of the bed and reaches for things, but eventually he towers over and falls to the ground on his butt.

He went into a giggle fest later this afternoon. I was reading Ten Tiny Tadpoles, and perhaps it was the inflection of my voice at the rhyming part, but something just made him laugh every time I got to that part. I went to change him and plopped him on the changing table, and he spit up some milk. All of a sudden he starts giggling, all the while curdled milk is dripping down his neck. I don't know what was so funny?! Then, I go to change his diaper and I start fanning his bottom, and he starts giggling and going into hysterics again.

Strange, funny baby I tell ya. But, his laughter is infectious, and makes all the frustrations of the day go away.

No comments: