Friday, March 28, 2008

Shocking News

Friday, 28 March 2008

So, I am at school doing work and preparing stuff for Monday since my part-time teacher won't be back from her China vacation until Wednesday. I just went to the office to go xerox some stuff and the secretary tells me "June Chun died." I was like, "WHAT?!" She was the music teacher here and a college sorority friend of my dad's, my uncle Dave Au, and my auntie Cinny. She had a massive stroke last weekend and then was on life support and died last night of natural causes. WHAT?! So crazy...she kept all her music stuff in my classroom too...So I would see her and talk to her often. Plus she was really good friends with my Aunty Cinny..In fact, I just got off the phone with her to give her my condolences...June was 60 years old, and both her kids are away at college (one's a freshman on the east coast and one's in grad school in San Fran), so they're both away and they won't have a funeral here until May.

The secretary said she was just talking to June on the last day of school before break about how she was taking Celebrex for knee pain (and how other staff members have taken it before but stopped). Her brother had told her not to take it because it has a side effect of strokes. But she was in such pain that she said she was going to keep taking it. The secretary thinks there's a correlation with what happened.

It is just so tragic and shocking when someone passes like this, and she was so young, like my dad. Dad's friend Dave wrote that "June was part of our group that has gotten together several times a year for the past 35+ years. My three kids also went to her music school and each has been in many plays throughout town all because of June's help and encouragement. She was such a good friend and did so much for my family ... we will miss her a lot." Like Auntie Cinny said, "I don't know what's worse...To linger with an illness and then pass or to go suddenly like this."

Now Dad and Auntie June are together. I can't imagine what her children are going through, especially not being here and having to keep going to school. I actually don't know what's worse either. Like my dad used to say while he was dealing with ALS, "You have to count your blessings everyday." That's for sure. I told my dad to watch over her and her family, and I send my condolences during this difficult time.

No comments: