Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

Sunday, 15 June 2008

It's hard to believe that it's been over a year since Dad has passed and now we have gone two Father's Days without him. Chase was up at the crack of dawn. We wished my Dad a Happy Father's Day and watched the birds outside while Daddy slept. Today, we had brunch at Michel's on the water near Diamond Head beach, so we celebrated the new father (Chris) and my father-in-law, Ron. I enjoyed my corned beef sweet potato hash and took bites of Chris' coconut haupia sweet bread french toast. Chase enjoyed eating warm croissants, cheerios, and yogurt (though a good majority of croissants ended up on the floor).

After brunch, we ran errands, and I bought a couple of scrapbooks to put together for Chase. Of course I'm trying to do all these things THE WEEK of his party (the perfectionist in me). Chris spent the afternoon cleaning both bathrooms and putting together a bench with shoe storage for our entryway. I worked on party stuff and scrapbooking while Chase played on the floor at Aunti Stevi and Uncle Gary's. I'm sure they'll be glad when their living room is finally clear of all my party stuff next week.

The highlight of the day was watching Chase's new trick. It's such a fun age now. He's always doing new things. It's as if something has finally clicked, and now he's just doing all these things. He's no longer a baby anymore. He's ready to enter toddlerhood. So, for about a month, he's been shaking his head, but I always thought it was an involuntary twitch. Early on, Chris told me to stop feeding him the bananas because he thought it was making Chase twitch. Now, I see that he has just been mimicking me because for the past two days, when I tell him "No" and shake my head, he responds soon after by shaking his head..."No, no, no". So, I started laughing today because I finally realized that he's copying me. Apparently, I've been modeling the movements all along. I asked Chris, "Do I really say "No" to Chase that much?" He replied, "Yeah, you do say 'No' a lot." Hee, hee...So, I was showing Auntie Stevi, Chris, and the Halsalls Chase's "new trick" all day long....The only thing is that it may be cute now, but by late afternoon, as he was smiling and shaking his head "No, no, no", AND as he was eating dinner and shaking his head "No, no, no", I began to think...Uh oh. I might be encouraging a bad habit. I have a stubborn, impatient son who likes to shake his head "no". Yeah, that might not be so good at the age of one.

So, by evening, both Chris and I were encouraging Chase by nodding our heads and saying "Yes, yes, yes!"

Of course, Chase just shook his head "no" and thought we were just plain silly. (Yes, I hope to get this on video soon to share with all of you!)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

hey tanya, just peeked in on your blog again and saw this post. reminded me of gabby's "no no no" phase. =) you need video of his no's. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsRl5W73DZM