Thursday, June 12, 2008

Packing and Party Prepping

Thursday, 12 June 2008

This week has been spent dropping Chase off at the Halsalls (or at Miya's) in the morning as usual. Then, I go to school and work in my classroom for a couple of hours, purging stuff, organizing, and preparing to pack stuff up. It's a daunting task. I hate moving. I'm only moving a building and a few rooms away, and I did this last summer as well. But, the program just has so many books and manipulatives, not to mention my own collection of books and curriculum I brought from Seattle. So, it's been like work as usual for me this week. There are a few teachers on campus as well, except for yesterday, when it was a state holiday (Kamehameha Day). Yesterday, the big news around town was the 80-something year old lady who got run over by a Coca-Cola delivery truck after it made its delivery to a the Kahala Chevron gas station. She died, in such a tragic way, and the truck actually had to run back over her to get her from being pinned. So terrible!

I've spent the afternoons running around looking for sand pails at different stores and buying all kinds of things for Chase's party. I'm also making some Father's Day gifts, as well as using some materials at school for Chase's shindig. It's nice that Chase is getting used to playing by himself and is easily amused. He is standing for longer periods of time on his own (without holding onto furniture), and when he's not eating off my plate, he's amusing himself with toys and things. Today, as I worked on making soap and Auntie Stevi cut labels, Chase played with his toys (sprawled out all over their living room of course) for a few hours. There were moments when he wanted me to pick him up so he could see what we were doing on the table, but other than that, he was pretty self-sufficient.

Even though I'm not "working", I sure am busy...and tired because of it. Of course, I've been sleeping later than usual trying to get all of this stuff done. We've already confirmed the catering and confirmed the entertainment. And now I've got 40 pails in my car (because after I bought nearly 20 of them at $3 apiece, I found them $1 cheaper at Toys-R-Us). Crazy.

No comments: